Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIY Eye Makeup Remover

One of my favorite times of year is May, when InStyle releases their Best Beauty Buys. Each year, I pore over the issue, ripping out the shopping list, pinning wish-list beauty items to my Pinterest boards, and otherwise drooling over the editors' picks.

Until recently, the issue didn't contain an Eco-Friendly section (mad props to the pub for adding that in 2012!). And before my eco-makeup craze began, I frequently referenced their regular ol' picks for every beauty purchase I made. One of the consistent contenders year after year was Lancome's Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover. I tried it, I loved it. Eventually I began noticing an imposter on the drugstore shelf: Neutrogena's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. Similar blue packaging, similar mysterious separation between the compounds within. I tried it, I loved it (especially for its lower price).

Nowadays, as you know, I'm trying to use products that are as close to nature as possible. No preservatives, parabens, nasty additives, etc. Lancome's 2007 formulation of this eye makeup remover scored a 5 over at EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, and Neutrogena's scored a 4. Not bad, but I'd like a 0, so I made this simple, super-effective eye makeup remover at home myself.

Efficacy was important for me - I'm a performer, and I wear some serious eye makeup at my shows. When I come home, I need something that will remove it swiftly without scrubbing or tugging at my eye area. This one's pretty perfect. Try it, you'll love it!

Ingredients:
1 part sweet almond oil (or jojoba oil) - these are non-comedogenic and won't clog pores
1 part filtered or distilled water

Combine ingredients. Shake well before each application. Apply with a cotton ball and watch as even the heaviest eye makeup disappears.

Oh! And throw it in an old container ... I'm all for re-using bottles! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment